Last month, the Duke, 35, and Duchess of Sussex, 38, opened up about struggling with royal life and public scrutiny in the explosive ITV programme Meghan and Harry: An African Journey, in which Meghan revealed not many people have asked if she’s ‘okay.’
But despite the couple’s honest confessions about their struggles in the spotlight, a source told People magazine that relations between Harry and Meghan and the rest of the royal family remain difficult.
The source revealed: ‘Nothing has changed. They don’t speak, no one is checking in, no one is texting.’
‘No one’ in the royal family is ‘checking in, texting or speaking to’ Prince Harry, 35, and Meghan Markle, 38, after they opened up about their struggles in an ITV documentary last month (pictured, with Prince William, 37, and Kate Middleton, 37, in March)
In the explosive documentary, which aired last month, the couple opened up about struggling with the media attention.
Meghan admitted feeling vulnerable and spoke of the difficulty in coping with intense tabloid interest, saying: ‘It’s not enough to just survive something, that’s not the point of life. You have got to thrive.’
Harry, meanwhile, refused to deny a rift between himself and Prince William, acknowledging, ‘we are on different paths at the moment.’
It was reported after the documentary aired that Prince William was ‘concerned’ for his younger brother, and hoped he and Meghan were ‘all right’.
The couple admitted to struggling with the media attention in the explosive documentary Meghan and Harry: An African Journey which aired last month
And author and former royal correspondent Phil Dampier told the Express that after the documentary Kate Middleton had reached out to Meghan and was ‘doing her best to bring everyone together and help her.’
But despite the reports the group once known as the ‘Fab Four’ were trying to patch things up, a source today suggested that there had been no ‘180’ from the royal family.
Multiple insiders said the chill between the couples runs deeper than many outsiders realize.
They said: ‘There hasn’t been this complete 180. They don’t speak, no one is checking in, no one is texting.’
Prince Harry and Meghan recently announced they wouldn’t be spending Christmas with the royal family (pictured last year with Prince William, Kate Middleton and Prince Charles)
Some suggested that Prince William’s position as future king caused on-going tension with Prince Harry.
They said: ‘There is going to be some competitiveness between him and Harry. That already puts a rock in the relationship.’
On Monday the couple started a six-week break from royal duties, during which they will celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas with Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland.
Despite Her Majesty giving her grandson her full support, royals sources said the monarch was in the dark about his festive plans until he called her at Buckingham Palace last week to decline her open invite.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are currently undertaking a six week break from royal duties, following the explosive ITV documentary
William and Kate have missed Christmas at Sandringham twice since 2012, but Phil Dampier, author of Royally Suited: Harry and Meghan, told MailOnline: ‘It’s very hard to see this as anything other than a snub to the Queen and the rest of the royal family. It shows there is a deep rift.
‘If Harry and Meghan wanted to heal the divisions they should have turned up at Sandringham. It’s a great shame but there seems to be a problem which is getting worse, not better’.
He added: ‘I don’t buy it’s the turn of Meghan to spend Christmas with her family. She’s only close to her mother and they will see plenty of her during their six-week break. I’m sure that the Queen would be happy to invite Doria to Sandringham to join them’.