A US Navy sailor shot and killed two civilian Department of Defense employees at the Pearl Harbor shipyard before taking his own life on Wednesday afternoon.
The military did not release a motive or any identifying information about the sailor who opened fire. A third victim is at a hospital.
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam has reopened following the lockdown. The incident is said to have taken place at Drydock 2 at around 2:30 pm local time.
The base tweeted to confirm ‘the shooting incident has been secured’, adding: ‘The shooter has been identified as a U.S. Sailor.’
One eyewitness told Hawaii News Now: ‘I was at my desk when I heard loud pops, which I recognized as gunshots.
‘I looked out of the window and I saw three people on the ground. The shooter, who I assume was a sailor because he was in uniform, shot himself.’
Security forces attend to an unidentified male outside the the main gate at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Wednesday, following a shooting which killed two civilians
Security stand outside the main gate at Joint Base Pearl Harbor. A U.S. sailor shot three civilian Department of Defense employees at the Pearl Harbor shipyard Wednesday before taking his own life, the military said
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, one of the Navy’s major installations, said the shooting began around 2:30 p.m. at Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard. The military didn’t release a motive or any identifying information about the sailor who opened fire or the victims
Emergency crews raced to the scene at around 2:30pm local time. Text messages are said to have been sent those in the area alerting them of the danger.
Footage showed law enforcement and first responders at the scene.
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam had earlier tweeted: ‘JBPHH security forces have responded to a reported shooting at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard.
‘The incident occurred at approximately 2:30 p.m. Due to the ongoing security incident, access/gates to #JBPHH are closed. We will update when we have further information.’
They later added: ‘Gates and base access are now open. Standby for further information regarding the active shooter incident.’
Hawaii Gov. David Ige said the White House has offered assistance from federal agencies and that the state is also ready to help if needed. A White House spokesman said President Donald Trump has been briefed on the shooting.
‘I join in solidarity with the people of Hawaii as we express our heartbreak over this tragedy and concern for those affected by the shooting,’ Ige said in a statement.
Navy Rear Adm. Robert Chadwick, the commander of Navy Region Hawaii, said he didn’t know what type of weapon the shooter used. He said people aren’t authorized to bring their personal weapons on base.
‘Obviously, our thoughts are with the families of the victims and everyone involved. I can say that we are mobilizing support services for naval shipyard personnel as well as everyone else who may be affected by this tragic event,’ Chadwick said.
The incident is said to have taken place at Drydock 2 at around 2:30 p.m., local time
The shipyard repairs, maintains and modernizes the ships and submarines of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which is headquartered at Pearl Harbor. The base is the home port for 10 destroyers and 15 submarines
Two hospitals said they were each treating a victim but didn’t have details on their conditions. The base has reopened following a lockdown (stock image of the base is pictured)
The shipyard repairs, maintains and modernizes the ships and submarines of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which is headquartered at Pearl Harbor.
It is the home port for 10 destroyers and 15 submarines.
The shipyard is across the harbor from the Pearl Harbor National Memorial, which on Saturday will mark the 78th anniversary of the Japanese attack that propelled the U.S. into World War II. More than 2,300 Americans died in the attack on Dec. 7, 1941.